Monday, November 9, 2009

TRies (true lies)

First, I want to say that I absolutely hate technology because I just wrote a really long blog and there was some stupid error when I tried to publish it and now it's gone.

On page 40, Dana says that "truth and lie had merged." She is referring to her answer to Alice's mom's statement-question, "And now you're going back," referring to going back to her husband. Alice's mom means to New York, but when Dana says "yes," she means to 1976.

I think the US government did something right for once when they decided to request "the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth." Because it is possible to tell the truth but still not say something the way it should be said to "truthfully" answer a question or make a statement. For example, I saw a shirt the other say that said, "Loyola football: undefeated since 1939." It is true that Loyola has never been beaten in football. That is because Loyola has never had a football team. It is a true but misleading statement.

We have spent this class talking about the black and white of truth and lies, but now we see there is a grey area. A very big grey area depending on how clever or decieving you can be. I know I've definitely used this device before.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy you mentioned that Loyola shirt, because I see it everyday and chuckle to myself every time. It does fit in perfectly with your point too. The shirt isn't lying when it says Loyola football hasn't been defeated in 70 years. Hell, someone wearing that could even fool some uninformed fool that we are the best unknown football team to ever walk to the planet. Yet the person wearing the shirt would know the lie being stated. It shows that not everything is black and white, as you said. The truth isn't always so trustworthy, which I have definitely come to realize throughout this course.

    ReplyDelete