Thursday, November 12, 2009

Everything Matters- I FINALLY FIGURED OUT WHY IT WOULDNT POST! yay!

Just as a small raindrop falling into a gigantic ocean sends ripples throughout, the ripple of a small action can have a gigantic effect throughout one’s life. In The Butterfly Effect Evan, the main character, was able to return to his past and change key events. As inviting as this seems Evan discovers that every time he transforms his past, there are unintended consequences occur. The changes Evan makes have ripple effects. As Evan continues to “correct” his past, he realizes his actions hold unplanned significance- hurting he people he loves. By viewing Evans life with and without the “corrections” in Evans past the movie gives the viewer a unique prospective as to t he consequences of our actions.
Because Evan was willing to sacrifice for those he loved I to felt for the characters and became emotionally attached to them. The Butterfly Effect provides an interesting contrast between Memento and Aura. I hate movies that don’t have emotionally favorable endings—I become overly concerned with the characters. I get upset if everyone is hurt in the end. I hated Memento because it ended with confusion and violence. I enjoyed Aura, and was ok with its unique ending because it answered my questions. However, I was not emotionally vested in the characters, so I did not care if they were ok. Conversely, I loved The Butterfly Effect, even though it ended sadly and I was emotionally vested in the characters. I liked The Butterfly Effect regardless of the sad ending, because the ending brimmed with morality. Ultimately, everyone (except Evan) lead better lives. A fortuneteller in The Butterfly Effect tells Evan, “you have no lifeline, you were never meant to live.” Even though this quote may sound silly, in context it holds significance. Evan was never meant to be, no matter how he lived he hurt the people most important to him. In the end, Evan had no choice but to kill himself at birth, so those he loved could be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment