Thursday, November 12, 2009

Time travel at its best.

When I first watched The Butterfly Effect, I couldn't help but sit there thinking, "What the hell is going on here?" I was confused, but knew that I would forever love this movie. Watching it again, but considering the point of this class, I quickly gained a new sense of time travel, and how it can affect people. Upon witnessing Evan's blackouts, I assumed they all actually happened and were just a part of his life. What I learned was that Evan could change the events of his life by going back through his memories and doing thing differently. To me, this is what time travel is supposed to be about. Why anyone want to travel back in time without changing anything, or doing somethings differently? When I think about other works that involve time travel like Kindred, or Slaughterhouse Five, I am always disappointed that these novels introduce the idea of time travel, but not how it can change the past. The Butterfly Effect actually emphasizes that time travel can alter the course of someone's life. To me, this is the main concept of time traveling. I guess this is the why I like this movie so much. It shows me that I'm not the only one in this world who wishes they could go back in time and change the outcome of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment