Thursday, November 12, 2009

Time Travel is Uncomfortable!

So after watching the Butterfly Effect, I realized for some reason I was much more comfortable with it's "sci-fi" ways than Kindred. Please do not misunderstand me, this movie is very heavy and intense for the first time viewer. However, when it comes to the method of time-travel I seem to be able to relate to it much better. I believe this is because the main character is not ensuring the survival of his ancestors like Dana, but ensuring the survival of those in his present life. It seems to me like the question of him exsisting or not is not there, so the idea of him going back into his own past is a little more understandable. This class has made me realize how uncomfortable I am with the idea of being lied to by authors, but I believe some ease me into it better than others. It is true that when an author kind of upsets you the story sticks, but I find if I can relate to a story I can find a deeper meaning.
P.S. This movie also made me reflect on the idea of fate. The quote in the beginning of the way saying that a butterfly's wings could create a tsunami really gave me that sense that history should not be messed with. Maybe if Dana knew that she would have two arms!

2 comments:

  1. I really like your closing. If it was possible to change history, should one do it? It's a dangerous notion to consider. Though we can take solace in the fact that we can change the present, for we don't know yet what the future holds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Andrew as well your ending supports your argument really well. Bringing up the point that history should not be messed with can be vividly seen in the movie of how desperately Evan tries to save his friends lives. Every time he tries save one person everyone else is hurt. In Dana's case every time she tries to save Rufus she gets hurt and he just turns out to get into deeper trouble. Instead of changing the past or the present a person should just take life as given and deal with the future. Both the book and the movie showed that even if you tried to change the present or the past it only leads to trouble.

    ReplyDelete