Monday, May 5, 2014

The End.

Everyone says college flies by, enjoy it, but as every day passes it feels like an eternity. Today, I flipped through the last two weeks on my planner and realized that my freshman year is coming to an end. I never thought I would say this, but I am going to miss it. Being a freshman allows me to make mistakes, say stupid things, and not know everything because I am just a freshman. We're so innocent and clueless, but it is all over. Next year, I can't not know where things are, I can't not know everything about college, I have to be all grown up. I'm 100% not about that life.

This year was scary, sad, fun, amazing, and new. I loved everything about it (except for the homework). I met really cool people. I met some awful people too. I learned a few things about myself, but I still have no idea who I am.

My classes taught me some stuff, mainly how to memorize text books. Except one. I never thought I would say I enjoyed an English class, but I honestly did. This was the one class I never skipped a reading for, I got my essays in on time, I did my work. It is pretty ironic that the one class where the professor tells me to do whatever I want, I do exactly what I "should"do.
Janelle taught us about some writers, she explained some books, she helped us with our writing skills, but she did so much more than that. Not only can I not get through one shower without laughing at my body wash and shampoo bottles, but I cannot sit through one class without second guessing professors. Today, I heard a talk from a Holocaust survivor; the whole time all I could think about was the manipulation. All I heard from her mouth--other than some horrifying stories--was that we need to be careful because manipulation is all around us. Some, like my mac and cheese saying it is organic, is harmless, but others can be life threatening.

The greatest thing I got from this class, other than some cool friends and one amazing professor, was that I need to open my eyes. I think I am so educated and aware, but not once had I noticed that my body wash (made of 100% chemicals) said it was "organic" and "all natural."

I guess what I am trying to say is I really really really really loved this class, the books we read, the people I met, and the lessons I learned (or was told to learn?). So, thank you and peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment