Wednesday, May 7, 2014

The. Final. Word.

Dear All,

Perhaps this is the last post of this semester. Perhaps this is the last post of the last of this class. Ever. ... Perhaps not.

I post nonetheless to thank you. Thank you for a fantastic semester. An exhausting semester. A rewarding semester. A truly, sincerely enlightening experience. I am confident, by reading your blog posts and interacting with each of you all semester, that I learned as much from you as you did from me. I can't ask for a better outcome. I wouldn't. The work you all put into this course -- in waves, in full tilt, in ebbs and flows, in sprints, in dogged determination and sometimes stubborn frustration -- has served you well. In my eyes, as I hope in yours.

Your work together, your collegiality as a class was inspiring. It proved an important example of what you can accomplish, what you will accomplish, and what you can be absolutely ok with not accomplishing. When I teach, I teach with the goal of influencing your thoughts. Of manipulating you to see, to understand, and to engage with the world as I do... or, better, as I believe you should do... ideally. Teaching is a license to dream in real time.

And yet, my teaching must inevitably move away from my voice and into yours. This is why I do what I do:  To set you up to take possession of a voice all your own. To provide you with those tools to set the course for your dreams. You were mine. Go be your own. Use your voice with care. Be powerful, and be just. Work hard for your happiness. Demand contentment.

Perhaps you have read these final words of mine. ... Perhaps not.

My voice is no longer my own, anyway.
j

2 comments:

  1. Janelle, I know I speak for everyone in this class in saying thank you so much for everything. Your passion, enthusiasm, and genuine character have made every moment of this course an experience never to be forgotten. And I'll be honest. I'm not a morning person. In fact, during my freshman year, I've come to the harsh realization that I hate 9 am's. But the only exception to this personal preference has been this class. I looked forward to getting up to go to this class every Tuesday and Thursday because I knew that I was going to learn at least one new thing that day, that I would see the world in a slightly different way when I walked out of Root. To start my day off with such a thought provoking and engaging class was a privilege I am truly grateful for.

    Sure, there were times when I, like many, struggled with the class. I left some classes this semester just completely confused, usually because you made me see something that I didn't notice, something that went against the way I understood the text we were reading, or even something that contradicted the way I saw the world before. You taught us to think in a different way and changing our way of thinking requires us to challenge ourselves. Now, looking back, that challenge was worth it.

    So as I finish my last comment on this blog, I say thank you once more. Thank you for helping us. Thank you for putting yourself in a vulnerable position as a professor for the sake of your students. Thank you for letting us in. But know that our greatest thank you has yet to come, for you will see that no matter who or what we become, the person that walks off this campus will, to some extent, be because of you and your contribution.

    Good luck in all the wonderful things you have going for you. I hope to see you around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janelle,

    I want to thank you for everything you've taught us. This class has taught me lessons that I will apply to my personal life. I've learned to be less afraid of choice. Less afraid of freedom. I never realized before how much power I actually have to direct my own life path. I have always lived according to expectations--from myself, my parents, teachers, friends, and society. I guess that's all changing now. I have your voice to thank for that. I'm still finding my voice, but I know that when I find it, I won't let go.

    ReplyDelete