Monday, May 5, 2014

This is the End


This class has taught me to become more aware of manipulation in my daily life. I thought that being able to recognize manipulation in unexpected places and situations would lead me to become more paranoid and cautious, but this hasn’t been the case at all.

Coming out of this class, I feel more empowered. Yes, there are circumstances that are beyond my control, but there will always be circumstances beyond my control. I understand now that ultimately each of us has the power to direct the course of our own lives. We can choose whether or not we will allow advertisers, friends, teachers, and even ourselves to manipulate us. There are going to be limitations to our choices, but I believe that because we are more conscious of the manipulation that surrounds us, we have more choice than we think we do. 

 It’s sort of ironic how this greater insight has led me to believe in more possibilities. This is particularly because I consider myself a cynical person at heart. However, like many of my classmates who have posted before me, Truth, Lies in Lit has changed my outlook. Like Meredyth and Amelia, I notice that I manipulate myself in little ways to make me happier—and I’m completely okay with that. Every morning I try to act extra chipper at breakfast so that I can trick my body out of its tired and exhausted state. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn’t.

When it comes down to it, I am a less cynical person now because I am more aware of both the negative and positive facets of manipulation. While I’m still fairly distrustful by nature, I’m also more hopeful because of the lessons that I have taken away from this class.

No comments:

Post a Comment