Tuesday, May 5, 2015

“I get that I don’t get it"


I have never taken a class like this before. I’ve never been able to decide my own assignment or my own grade. And very rarely do I come out of a class learning anything but random facts that I’ll forget in two weeks. This class taught me something different though. It taught me to be more aware in many different aspects. I learned to be aware of manipulation through writing, film, and in every day situations. One of the most interesting things I learned was what came out of Grizzly Man. I had never thought about how we can be manipulated to view something in a certain way by what the creator chooses to put in and leave out. By leaving things out the creator technically isn’t lying, but by not telling the whole truth they’re deceiving the audience. I now see this all the time in things ranging from movies to class presentations. I think Lilly’s comment about Momento was a perfect way to sum up the class. “I get that I don’t get it” or something along those lines. We were able to accept the fact that we didn’t get what was going on because we were aware of the parameters. Like Professor Schwartz said we are able to be on the outside and look at ourselves on the inside. Unlike the random facts that I will forget in two weeks, this class has taught me skills that I can apply to every day situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment