Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Pinch, Poke, You Owe Me a Coke


Today I drank a cup of chocolate milk from the carton.  I noticed markings on the top of the carton saying “open” and an arrow pointing to the right side of the carton.  It occurred to me that these cartons may be opened from either side, regardless.  But I continued on my path of manipulation and opened the carton from the right side, the side that Byrne Dairy wanted me to open from.  As I pried the carton open I saw exactly what Byrne Dairy wanted me to see.  A sign saying, “Also try Byrne Dairy ice cream for a tasty treat!”  I immediately recognized the plot.  I became victim of their manipulation by opening on the side they wanted me to open from, and amidst becoming falling for their plan, they then again tried to convince me to buy their ice cream.  Not that I would necessarily do that.  I’m too fat and I must be skinny because society thinks that’s what “good” looks like.  Just kidding.
This class has conditioned me to notice subliminal tactics that surround us ubiquitously.   That was a good word.  I probably would’ve have just continued opening milk cartons that way without realizing what exactly Byrne Dairy is trying to do.  Heck I may have even fallen for their request to buy their ice cream if I never took this class with #ProfessorSchwartz$$$.  Shout out to Professor Schwartz for actually teaching me something useful unlike my organic chemistry class.  I’m trying to manipulate you into grading our finals lightly, but seriously thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Conor,

    First of, it's been a pleasure to know Henry and you this semester. Orgo labs had their fun, but this class is truly one of a kind. And it's even greater knowing that a lot of people think the same way.
    Second of, I agree with your observation of this business tactic of manipulative advertising. Another good example would be the lines of products from Optimum Nutrition, particularly those that suggest users to compound multiple products together for optimum (hey hey) results. Is there an actual behind this? Is it actually true that mixing all these powders together boost metabolism of all the so-called "essential amino acids"? Or is it all just bro-science in disguise as a ploy to raise profits with blatant disregard for the safety of the customers? These I don't know, but I do know now that I have a choice to disassociate myself from all of this should it be clear that the company is up to no good. The choice belongs to the customers. It's basic Economics 101, but ironically I could only figure it out once I've taken this course. So yes, special thank you to #ProfessorSchwartz$$$.

    Speaking of broscience, I hope you like Dom Mazzetti. I tried to input a gif into this comment, but to no avail. Threaded comments have different elements than main posts so they're slightly trickier to maneuver around. But anyway, here are some wise words from the man himself:

    http://pandawhale.com/post/56457/santa-bro-broscience-if-a-door-says-push-its-not-directions-its-a-challenge-gif

    Have fun and stay safe tomorrow

    ReplyDelete