Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Truth and Lies in Everything


As we near the end of the semester, I started to really reflect on all the things I have learned in my classes. Being a Biology major pursing the medical field, I am constantly taking science classes where I learn about how the world works. In these science classes, I found that I was learning specific topics that were in depth. Although these classes are extremely interesting and capture my attention, when I tried to reflect on how it related to my everyday life and perception, I could not really think of many aspects that I could relate to. On the other hand, when I thought about this class, I found that the material I learned in this course were really things that I could reflect on to my own life. As we read and analyzed the many different manipulative techniques and use of lies, I was exposed to a different approach and perspective to life. These techniques can be found almost any place that human-to-human communication is made. As the semester has progressed, I found myself noticing these manipulations more and more. In many of my blog posts, I have already talked about the use of brand names and how that in itself is a manipulation. These brand names basically tag their products in order for people to remember them and to buy them thinking that the name label made them worth more than something normal. Take for example plain t-shirts. Whenever I go shopping at outlet malls, I always notice plain t-shirts at various brand name shops. Just for a logo that is in the very small left hand corner that cant be seen causes the shirt to be $20 more dollars than a shirt that does not have a brand. This was really intriguing to me, and after relating it to the course, I told myself to never buy a plain t-shirt from brand names.

No comments:

Post a Comment