Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Is this the end or the beginning?


Looking back on this course, I have definitely become a more alert and suspicious reader than I used to be. I still allow myself to be manipulated by author, but now I am conscious of that manipulation instead of being blind to it. Before this course, I believed in a linear progression, seeing a book as has a beginning, middle, and an end that never met one-another. But much of what we read and experience in our day to day life is circular. Even this course is circular: at the beginning of the semester, Janelle asked us to question everything. At first, we were all skeptical and tended to tread on eggshells around her, following everything she said, but slowly we began to fight back against the manipulation. We have been programmed to listen to a teacher, follow the assignments, and never question how a class is being taught. The first time Janelle asked us to change an assignment, we chose not to. And here we are, four months later, suggesting alternatives to her syllabus for our final without any reservations (okay, maybe some!). But my point is that we recognize the manipulation and we are working with it, against it, and for it. Granted, I will probably never take a class like this one again and I will fall back into the regimented teacher-student schedule, but now I know that I can question assignments and put forward suggestions.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with your post. It's good that we are more aware of the manipulation that surrounds us daily, even if we still are victims of it. It's so true that at the beginning of the course we were so afraid and confused to try and challenge Janelle. It was something that we had never really experienced before. But, by the end of the semester we were asking more questions and trying to change our assignments. We at least managed to 'rebel' a little by leaving the class for five minutes before coming back.

    ReplyDelete