Tuesday, May 5, 2015

So Whats: Boxing is scripted!

Looking back and reflecting on this class has made me realize that there are a lot of “so whats” to take away.
First, I have learned that as humans we are very easily tricked and manipulated. Manipulation can be both good and bad, but either way it is important to be aware of it. Since this class begun, I have been thinking more about why I make certain choices and like certain things and whether I am being manipulated by friends, family, or society, or whether it is really what I want or like. When I realize that it is the former, I try to change my behavior and think more about what I myself want. After all, I do not want to live my life for anyone else besides me. And when I discover that it is the latter, that I want to do something or like something for myself, I learn more about myself and what I value.
Second, I have learned that sometimes it seems like we have more choice than we actually do. Back to the manipulation topic, people can manipulate us in this way by making us think we have a choice when we really do not. This is also something I have become more aware of.
Third, we have read many books and stories this semester with unreliable narrators. This has made me realize how gullible I am, and how convincing lies or tweaks of the truth can be. Also, I discovered that some stories are more truthful or powerful when they are fictional, like The Things They Carried and Michael Chabon showed us.
Finally, I learned that boxing on TV is SCRIPTED! Wow. Who knew…

3 comments:

  1. Point of clarification: I discussed how professional wrestling is scripted. However, I have no doubt that many, many boxing bouts are scripts, too. It's all about the Benjamins! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your blog post. I thought It was creative, insightful, and a great way to conclude the class. I particularly loved the line when you said, "I do not want to live my life for anyone else besides me." I think that is a motto more people, including myself, need to live by. I think that is a great way to sum up what I have learned from this course, that through the mask of manipulation we still do have a choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that was amazing, never believed it was scripted.

    ReplyDelete