Tuesday, May 5, 2015

More Than Just The Tip?


Last night I clicked on Student Assembly Minutes by accident.
I was waiting for an email from StudentUniverse about my flight ticket home.
And I clicked on Student Assembly Minutes by accident.
And if I understood the summary correctly, the main topic was quiet hours. I mean “quiet hours” appeared quite a lot in the summary. “Boarding school” trailed behind with 3 counts and “tyranny” with 2... Meanwhile my flight confirmation was still nowhere to be found and I did my two years waiting in the Azakaban that is this campus and for the love of all things holy I miss Pho, like actual Pho and not whatever that is that Bon Appetit shoves down my throat.

So what’s up?

A new system is being proposed wherein our Hillcard access to other dorms and even to our own would be terminated after certain hour and reactivated after certain hour.There’s also the issue of Courtesy Policy, which as we know creates potential conflicts of interest between party-goers and those who desperately need a good night sleep. Recent demonstrations of this issue were Babbitt 30 and Playground. Looking at the summary, I thought the assembly did a good job analyzing what noise complaints ultimately mean for both parties.

But, the merit of the proposed system notwithstanding, the fact that there has been no all-campus invitation to discuss the issue seems odd to me. Yes maybe because it’s not official yet and maybe it’s best to keep it on the down low until the assembly comes up with a relatively well-tuned proposal to present the public. But where do we draw the line? Where do we say “o let’s just leave it to the people I didn’t vote for and hope that they would remember The Golden Rule from Philosophy 101 so next time I’m out late with bae in winter I don’t have to crash Minor field. I hope to never see this type of email again cause I sure don’t want to know what they would be up to next. Come on guys cameras in the hallways are stupid”?

There’s a reason for this rant. We’ve talked about deception and manipulation at systematic and personal levels. We’ve talked about making decisions within parameters. Most importantly, we’ve talked about working with the system and actually did (case in point: the course syllabus). But how do we do all these things when the system isn’t ready to work with us? And even when the system is ready, is there much left for us to work on? Should we take comfort in that? More importantly, do we really have a choice to not conform and/or compromise cause to be honest the things that happen in our class are not an everyday occurrence, especially (and ironically) at academic establishments such as this?
Some final gifs for thought below. Not exactly the same scenario, relevant nonetheless.


1 comment:

  1. God bless the U-S of A. Am I right? I see Hung. You seem like you really want to participate in such a debate. Seriously though I think you should find some sort of public position of power where you can change the world for the better and MAKE the system to work for us. I'd elect you into any office. However, for some the system does work and acts in a positive way, but in other situations the system can be harsh. Your GIF explains your thought process very well. I liked it.

    ReplyDelete