Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Live for the Chase

The default was an A. If we agreed that we were being manipulated, we received an A. I am VERY happy with an A, do not get me wrong. With an A on the first paper, and whatever we gave ourself on the blog grade, and participation in the rewrite workshop, we had so much control over our grade in this class (legitimate control, not pertaining to effort). As I reflect upon my experience in this class, I can't help but wonder what the outcome would have been if the default had been a B+. We are Hamilton students. We are all here because we worked our asses off in high school and chose the school that would give us the best chance at a "good" outcome in life. We strive for the very best grades so that we can get the best jobs and have the best families and the best lives. The reasoning for giving us all As was because "grades do not matter". So, Janelle gave us all the best grade that can be received. The goal of this experiment was to see if we would become proud of the work we turned in and turn it in for ourselves, not a grade. However, did this automatic A, and good grade if we did well on other assignments, cause us to smile and shake our heads at everything she said?

What if the default was a B+? A "B+" is a good grade, well above average at Hamilton, but it is not an A. Would any grade that is not an A provide the same effect? What if she failed us all, to truly prove that grades do not matter? I imagine we would have revolted if she gave us all failing grades. I have never had so much control in a class. I have fought, hard, in other classes to get As. Giving us all different grades than As would have completely changed the psychology, and the environment, of the class. I think it would be interesting to see...but I am happy with my A.

Have you heard the expression, "you want what you can't have"? I think that my goal going into the class was to do as best as I could, which, in academia, translates to getting an A. I went in knowing it would be very difficult. However, when she told us we all got As on our first paper, I realized my chances just got a lot better. Next comes the expression, "all that glitters is not gold". Once I had the A, I felt bad. I felt like I cheated and did not truly deserve it because the "A" was spoken in class, not written at the end of my first essay. This is the first class I have taken that has given me so much control over my grade. I am happy with an automatic A, but I think I "live for the chase".

Thanks for a great class, guys!

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you. I think that a B+ is a good grade. Therefore, when I earn anything above a B+, I feel really proud and accomplished. However, when I get what I believe is a bad grade sometimes I think I earned a better grade. Everyone wants an A. We have been so conditioned to earn a stupid letter. English classes tended to be where I got my lowest grades in high school. Therefore, my standards were always slightly lower than other classes. With that said, getting an A on the first essay was good and bad. If I come out of the course with a good grade, did I truly earn it? ... and if I come out of the course with a poor grade, I must have really screwed up. I do feel like I cheated when I get to assign my own grade, but at the same time it gave me a lot of drive to make my essay worth an A. I am very glad she didn't fail us all to prove her point that grades don't matter.

    ReplyDelete