Wednesday, May 6, 2015

I Got The Power

Ha ha ha! This blog post is late. Actually what is wrong with me? But it doesn't matter! 'Cause I graded myself for the blog posts. Ha! Ha. He he. He.

^ Sorry about that. It's 1:44am. What am I doing with my life? I still have not figured out how to manage my time and stuff. It's okay. I'm just a lil freshman. There is time for being responsible in the future. Or at least that is what I tell myself in moments like this.

ANYWAY...

This class. I could not be happier I took it. In every way. I would like to start with you as a Professor and person, Janelle. I love that we have no clue if you are actually a Professor and that you have straight up told us that the reason you named the course "Truth, Lies, and Literature" is because it sounds like "Sex, Drugs, and Video games" (if I remember correctly, memory is shady sometimes. Did you know? Yes, of course you know. We learned that.) You literally say "turnip" instead of "I love you" to your husband, and love your dogs like human beings (which I totally support, animals are very important). I just think that's all great, and has challenged my idea of what a "Professor" has to be like. I like to think about you vs. my advisor, who fills the Professor stereotype I have been conditioned to believe in thanks to the media (darn manipulation!!).

Leaving this class I have learned a lot. A lot about myself, really. I have never been someone that put a huge weight on my grades. That was never my motivation, honestly. Coming to Hamilton, I initially felt a little out of place and questioned my academic priorities when I felt like everyone else was so darn set on getting an "A" on everything, and I just wanted to learn about things I was passionate about. This class has revived this innate desire I have to do my personal best and follow my passions. It has made me really excited to start making decisions that matter and taking steps towards a meaningful life.

I also love knowing about manipulation and allowing myself to imagine where it is and comes from. This is something I had a little bit before the class. It comes from both of my parents who seem to have a borderline obsession with conspiracy theories (shh.. don't tell anyone, they are both just a little coocoo, but so am I so it's cool). I like looking at things that are presented to me and then looking at them even deeper to find out it's actually just a bunch of bullshit. In fact, it makes life a lot easier. Behind most things that are intimidating and inhibiting, is usually a lot of manipulation. Even if the manipulation is intended to help people in the long run, it is still manipulation and can be overcome. I feel like this class has taught me that you can get out of any negative situation by outsmarting the person/thing manipulating you. I love that.

Looking to the future I look forward to being aware of manipulation and embracing it. I'm not scared of it. I know it's there. I can work with that. It's when you don't know you are being manipulated that there is a problem. I know it's there. I am above it. Woot. Woot.

No comments:

Post a Comment